Are you behaving?

It’s a Saturday night, are you behaving?  Just got the kiddles tucked into bed and ready to sit down and watch a movie with the hubby.  So, yes, I am behaving.  No party animal here!  Maybe I’ll make myself a Chocolatini-that’s about as naughty as I get!

My kiddos at school are starting to figure things out thanks to lots of teaching of expectations and routines.  We are just in the transition of become an RTI-B school (officially – we’ve already done most things!), so we do a lot of positive reinforcement with the kiddos.

I started right away with “The Day the Monster Came to School” story – the kiddos loved it and can’t believe the monster would behave so badly!

We then talked about above the line/below the line expectations and completed this chart together.  I have it hanging up and many little kiddos still refer back to it.

IMG_1987

I also have the kiddos do a sort on their own.

IMG_1953

The pictures are from Board Maker – I got them from a friend and don’t have a digital copy to share. Sorry!  But, if you check with someone on your special ed team, they should be able to make some for you!

IMG_1988

We also did our class promise (I found the words here and thought they were perfect for kinders!)

I love their sweet little drawings, don’t you?!

I have also implemented the fabulous rainbow behavior plan that Julie Lee has created! This is the only picture I have – you can see it on the left.  You can also read more about it at Julie’s blog.

IMG_1968

Here is a pic from Julie’s blog:

image

And for the little sweeties that just can’t seem to figure it out, this is my version of Lynda’s clipboard from Curls and a Smile.  I loved this idea when I first saw it.  I never liked having clip charts on display because others (especially parents) could see how each child was behaving.  I love the clipboard because it can stay private between me and the student and it can also travel with them to specials.

IMG_2037

I use the red note from Kim Adsit’s site.  You can download it here.  She has posted both a pdf and a word doc so you can modify as needed.  I modified mine slightly to fit our needs.  If I can find it on my computer, I’ll post it!  I print it on red paper so parents are sure to see it!

I keep track of the behavior throughout the day with the tracker from The Polka Dot Patch. I just love it!  It’s so easy to keep track of behavior throughout the day – great for when you need to go to those BLST meetings and have to have documentation of behaviors!  You can download it from Ashley’s blog right here.

image

What is your best behavior management trick?

16 comments:

  1. Thank you!! What a surprise to see as I was reading!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are these ladybugs from!?!? That's our mascot so I am very curious :) eden_capps@scps.k12.fl.us

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing such helpful behavior system ideas. I'm always looking for new and better ways to track my kiddos' behavior throughout the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute ideas! Behavior management is very tricky! You want to be loving and positive but you also want to lay down the law! I've just barely touched on behavior. Here is link to my blog where I've discussed it.

    http://gigglesandsqueals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to bring in the ideas from so many resources! I do have a blog called Managing Behavior on Sept 3rd. I don't know how to put a link in the post, but some of your readers might want to check those out for some more ideas! Love the sort idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is great! I absolutely love your clipboard and the management recording sheet is perfect!!
    Curls and a Smile

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also use the above the line, below the line, and bottom line system and combine it with a street light system. above the line is green light, below the line is yellow, and bottome line is red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I am a student teacher this semester, and these will be so helpful. Thank you so much for sharing. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use a clip chart as well and love it! I also recently started using the Red Notes from Kim's site! Saves me so much trouble when parents want to know why their little darling was on red and I can't remember!

    I also make sure I always have a bag of skittles on hand. When I see a student showing a positive behavior I give them a skittle or two and then the others quickly start modeling those behaviors as well!

    - Jen
    FirstGradersandCupcakes@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thanks so much for the great blog!! I wanted to let you know that TEACHERSFIRST.com recommended that my fun interactive website be used in the K-1 classroom. I do hope you get a chance to try it out!!www.littlelillypolkadot.com

    THANKS!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog a while ago.. I am a fellow North Dakotan :) Anyways, I used your Monster activities at the beginning of school (which worked perfectly,since my room is monster themed!) We did the sort together and hung them up. They refer to them all of the time! So AWESOME! Thanks so much!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog and totally LOVE it! I have just started a Preschool blog... Check it out. kidamerinks.blogspot.com and like me back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have "The Day the Monster Came to School" packet still available? I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing such helpful behavior system ideas. I'm always looking for new and better ways to track my kiddos' behavior throughout the day! Cute ideas! Behavior management is very tricky! You want to be loving and positive but you also want to lay down the law! I've just barely touched on behavior. Here is link to my blog where I've discussed it. Great way to bring in the ideas from so many resources! I do have a blog called Managing Behavior on Sept 3rd. I don't know how to put a link in the post, but some of your readers might want to check those out for some more ideas! Love the sort idea! I am also motivating people via sharing good motivational story and article via blog http://www.abhilashatechnology.com/2014/03/howtobegoodmanagerset1.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey I have a great way for you to have a private clip chart! It is a clip chart software that you can access easily on an ipad as you move around the classroom. Check it out at www.colormydaykids.com and I will get you set up with a free trial! Email me at colormydaykids.com

    Thanks
    Kristin from Color My Day

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where can I find a copy of the book The Day the monster came to school?

    ReplyDelete